Tertiary education is a joint investment by both parents (of their money) & children (of their time). However, this is easier said than done and takes lots of discussion and planning.
- Often started saving for children education late & use low yielding savings tools which cannot match up with the rising education cost.
- The perceived quality overseas education is getting out of reach with the depreciation of MYR.
- Often don’t know what to study after SPM / O-level.
- More graduates, who chose their studies based on parents’ wishes etc are abandoning them to do something else.
- The employment scene is becoming competitive & unpredictable with the automation & artificial intelligent under Industrial Revolution 4.0.
This cause a big dilemma to parents on whether to take up loan near retirement age to
- Fund their children overseas studies
- Support their children in pursuing new direction, be it in switching course, starting a business.